Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Vaccine Brouhaha

Recently, Kentucky Senator Rand Paul made headlines when he seemed to be advising parents not to get their kids vaccinated after a deadly measles outbreak.

I'm shocked that as a doctor he would say this. And, unfortunately his words have an impact. In the last decade, vaccination rates have declined dramatically, due to unfounded speculation that they cause Autism. This doesn't help, and it makes it even worse when celebrities like Jenny McCarthy lend their voice to the anti-vaccine hysteria.

The truth is, I don't think this is even genuine from Rand Paul. I think he's only doing this to pander to his black-helicopter-government's-trying-to-poison-us-all base.

I'm more inclined to agree with what Hillary Clinton recently said on Twitter; "I know Republicans aren't big fans of science, but the science is in, nonetheless. The Earth is round, the sky is blue, and vaccines work."

No comments:

Post a Comment