Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Freedom of Choice for Children

Could sweets become the new drug of choice in many schools? Maybe, if the eight states that currently want to ban bake sales get their way. Actually seven states already have; Massachusetts has legislation pending. Now, am I greedy? No. I just hate the thought that kids  won't have any choice in what they eat or don't eat. If we don't give kids any alternative, how do they learn to make positive choices?

Personally, I think it's partly about regulating the underground economy as much as possible. There was an incident in Georgia recently where a young girl's lemonade stand was shut down by the health department. No kidding. I imagine that in the future, little children will come to school with cookies hidden in their pockets to sell to other children: "Hey, buddy, wanna buy some chips?"

If you can, please join the fight to take back freedom of choice in public schools. I'm going to start a petition that you can sign on facebook, which I will link to later.

No comments:

Post a Comment