Sunday, June 26, 2011

Painful Lessons

Today, when we think of corporal punishment, one of the images that comes to mind is that of the nineteenth-century schoolmaster. But I believe that corporal punishment in schools might be due for a reevaluation. Going to school in the modern era, many children did not feel that they had to respect their teachers, because they knew that the teacher actually had no real power over them. But back in the 1950s, children were less inclined to act up in the class room. Let me just say that I understand why many parents don't feel comfortable with other people spanking their children. That being said, I feel children respect their parents moreso than their teachers in part because they know their parents actually have power over them.

The reason I think teachers should have the right to physically discipline unruly students is because I believe that children should learn to respect adults equally, and I think there is a double standard (perhaps with good reason), but my point is, when a child is under your care, and they are doing something that is either harmful or disruptive to the learning process, that child must know that even though you are not their parent, they have to respect you, too.

Let me just say that if corporal punishment were reinstated, I would demand that the parents be notified, and that there be cameras in the classroom to make sure that the teacher or principal did not go too far. I know that many of you may disagree, but I feel that sometimes, when other children are learning also, and a child is being disruptive, they need to learn, right at that minute, that that behavior is not acceptable. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment