Thursday, September 23, 2010

I'm Not Tiny Tim

I believe that ever since the days of Tiny Tim, disabled people have been portrayed in the media as weak people who must be pitied. For instance, I saw a commercial for Special Olympics, and don't get me wrong, I think it's a great organization, but paraphrasing the commercial, "Come see the most inspiring athletes in the world. These people can overcome anything." That may be true, but why is it that when people with disabilities do normal things, we are automatically labeled inspiring? A person in a wheelchair could just be out getting milk and someone could say, "Good for you! You go! You can do it!" Look, I'm not suggesting that these people don't mean well, but in pointing out our ability to do something that most able bodied people take for granted, these well-meaning bystanders actually highlight our differences, when often the intention seems to be to create unity and show acceptance.

Here's the point: the woman getting milk is just living her life. I'm just living my life. Most people would call me a good guy, but there are times when I, like everyone else, can be an asshole. People with disabilities are people, not saints or angels. I have a headrest on my chair, not a halo.  I have to admit here, that there have been times when people mistook me for an inspiration solely because I am disabled and therefore offered me an extra piece of cake in the cafeteria. I did not bother to correct them. But the fact remains, I'm just a guy, who happens to use a wheelchair.

No comments:

Post a Comment