Monday, November 16, 2015

Captain Underpants Gay Controversy

If you were a young kid in the early 2000's, you will likely know about the children's graphic novel series "Captain Underpants" by Dav Pilkey.

If you don't know, it is about a couple of elementary school friends and their teacher. The teacher, when  hypnotized by the two prankster fourth grade protagonists, believes he is the superhero they created called "Captain Underpants". The series is filled with fourth grade humor, including villains with names like "Professor Poopy Pants." It's a very popular series of books.

But recently an addition to the series prompted controversy from a school district in Michigan. The school district sent home a letter to all the parents, warning them that in this book of the series, that one of the main characters travels into the future and discovers there that he is married to another man. However, that is not the whole of the story, merely a part of it. But apparently, the school was so concerned about the reaction from the parents, that they sent home the letter addressing their concerns. But what I find funny is that there are still so many people in this country that would be so concerned about the mere acknowledgement of the existence of gay people, that they would feel parents should be warned. I have to tell you, I've known several gay people while I was growing up. My parents have many gay friends, and they never tried to hide it from us. And I can assure you that all of them are perfectly lovely and normal people. I think knowing them helped me become a kinder and more compassionate person.

So not only am I not concerned about this subplot, I applaud it.

No comments:

Post a Comment